How to Stay Safe During the Superbowl
Whether you are rooting for the Patriots or the Falcons to win Super Bowl 51, there is one thing we can all agree on. We want to keep our family and friends safe and free from accidents at our Super Bowl party. Here's a few ways you can do just that.
Stay Safe by Drinking Responsibly
- Drunk driving fatalities increase by as much as 15% on Super Bowl Sunday vs other Sundays during the year. You certainly don't want your guests driving while impaired and injuring themselves and causing damage to others. Drunk driving accidents will cause lawsuits by injured 3rd parties to be filed against the host who allowed one of their guests to drink and drive. Here are some ways to prevent putting your guests in the position to drive drunk:
- Offer you guests some non-alcoholic drink choices for during the game and after.
- Serve lots of food- especially protein rich dishes to counter balance the alcohol.
- At a certain point- after the 3rd quarter ends is a great time- close the bar, and bring out the coffee, tea, and deserts.
- Keep a close eye on your guests and when you observe someone who's had too much, limit their alcohol. Pour them a non-alcoholic drink to help them slow down.
- Watch even more closely when guests start to leave and take the keys from those who are impaired. There are also breath analyzers you can buy and Tostitos even has a bag that will tell you whether your OK to drive. Give their keys back only after they've spent a good amount of time, drinking water or coffee and having something to eat.
Secure Superbowl Viewing Area
Walk around your home and identify and deal with any potential accidents that can happen during the game when passions are flowing. Remember that most breakage is excluded from Home Insurance policies. Some items to check:
- Make sure your TV is securely mounted to wall or resting safely and securely on its stand.
- Stow away all breakables that can be tipped over during Touchdown celebrations.
- Make sure small children are in a safe place and away from your more enthusiastic fans. Make sure they don't drink from guest's cups.
Cook or Grill Safely During the Game
- Never leave your cooking unattended. Before you know it, you can get caught up in the game as your food burns and causes a fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand and know how to operate it.
- Watch out for small children and their probing fingers- they can grab pot handles from the stove or burn themselves on the grill.
- Don't let your pets grab food from your serving tables and ask your friends and guests not to feed them alcohol, chips and dip, guacamole, ice cream, nuts, chocolate, fat trimmings, bones, or caffeinated beverages.
Have a great Super Bowl experience and keep the focus on the game while keeping your family and friends safe and sound until they are back at their home.
If you're interested in getting a quote, click below: